Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rohanite

From what I've been able to discover about this site, it's perhaps a little less social-networking-site than Xanga was attempting to transform into, which is nice. I can scroll through profiles of people who have common interests with me, but due to there not being an overarching search feature (at least, not one that I've been able to locate), I'm finding it harder to find people that I know are on here. So it's both good and bad. Either way, it's not a bad thing to have to exert a little more effort in these things. Social-networking is always plagued by "friend"-addicts who will simply use you as a boost to their numerical popularity count. I'm looking for something a little deeper than that in blog world...

I suppose I should explain my title a little bit. Both my original (and Xanga) blogs user-names have contained the name Eowyn. She's a character in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings who I can't help but admire for her bravery, and sympathize with for the whole 'unrequited love' deal. At least she took her rage out on a Wraith instead of turning emo.

Anyway, I guess I'm going for a more general feeling with the name 'Rohanite.' That segment of the movies was so wonderfully done - the music, dialog, atmosphere - all served to bring me back to the days when I was a little home-schooled girl living in Scotland, going on numerous field trips to castles, both of ruined and well-preserved variety. I love that historical feeling.

I could never presume to be as bold, fearless, and attractive as Eowyn, but I still identify with her far more than any other female character in the stories (all 4 of them). What's the deal with this Arwen girl? She may have looked all cool and feisty on her horse outrunning all those Wraiths in the movie, but in the books she did absolutely NOTHING but marry Aragorn. Eowyn is cooler. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment